bryanthomasschmidt

Bryan Thomas Schmidt

My thoughts on books, stories, authors, and publishing

The Clockwork Dagger
Oath of Fealty
Elizabeth Moon
The Road to Science Fiction 2: From Wells to Heinlein
James Edwin Gunn

Sins of the Angels (The Grigori Legacy)

Sins of the Angels (The Grigori Legacy) - Linda Poitevin If there's anything I'd generally say I wanted to read about less than Zombies and Vampires, it's angels. I lived through the whole 90s angel craze, and, well, I still have wing scars on my back. So why am I reading two books by Linda with angels? Because they're so damn good. Oh no, I started out reluctant. I was reading this one because I'm doing an interview with her and she's a friend of a friend who recommended it. But then the book went and got all good and un-put-downable and all and darn it, I was actually enjoying it. In fact, except for a few over the top theological things in the world building, I loved it more and more all the way to the end. Great world building, great characters. Little bit too much fondness for the F words amongst them perhaps, but maybe Canadian cops really use only one curse word out of preference. Perhaps it reminds them of those damn Americans they share a continent with. I don't know. Whatever the case, the book has great thriller elements and strong romance elements mixed with fantasy and paranormal. It's urban fantasy detective thriller with an angel and a detective trying to hunt a fallen angel on a killing spree. In the meantime, his real target is one of them and he's not giving up. A strong urban fantasy debut, well worth the read. A writer well worth discovering. Highly recommended.