bryanthomasschmidt

Bryan Thomas Schmidt

My thoughts on books, stories, authors, and publishing

The Clockwork Dagger
Oath of Fealty
Elizabeth Moon
The Road to Science Fiction 2: From Wells to Heinlein

Diving into the Wreck

Diving into the Wreck - Kristine Kathryn Rusch I've made some mistakes in my life, but not many I regret. One that I do is waiting so long to read a Kristine Kathryn Rusch novel. I've read many of her short stories and enjoyed them, but this book blew me away. I couldn't put it down. Read it over a weekend, basically. It hooks you from the start and won't let go. Great, well drawn characters, especially the lead. Just the right amount of world building. A good deal of mystery and surprise twists to the plotting. Believable science, space ships, and even action sequences. The book has it all. At its core it has a story about a person who was lost and is still figuring out how to come to terms with it. Boss needs closure and suddenly she finds a way which just might provide it. Her discovery of an ancient Earth war ship with long forgotten stealth technology opens a can of worms, bringing her back into contact with her long lost father, and others who desire that technology. Their possession of it could lead to a war, so Boss has to stop them. And the price paid to do so involves risking her own lives and those of others she cares about. A great read. I can't wait for the sequel to arrive in May!